   Re: [xml-dev] CSS syntax for RDF

> Micah Dubinko wrote:
> > My previous post about a YAML syntax for RDF got me to thinking a bit.
> >
> > YAML is similar in some ways to the well-known CSS sytnax. I've already
> > played around a bit with a CSS syntax for RDF, or more specifically,
> > N-Triples:
> >
> > http://dubinko.info/blog/2003_04_13_archive.html#92807249
> >
> > @namespace dc url(http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/)
> >
> > :root {
> > dc|description: "A discussion of the broader context and relevance of XML/RDF techniques.";
> > dc|creator: "Uche Ogbuji";
> > }
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Looks like a good start...But you need to do a larger example with named
> and anonymous nodes, hierarchy etc. But overall, I like the idea. The
> stuff above is easier on the eyes than ANY of the RSS variants, even the
> pre-namespaces stuff.

<aol>me too</aol>

Micah, I know you dislike RDF, so I'm not sure why you're doing such a
service, but I'm grateful you are.  Please keep these ruminations coming.

> Ttoo bad about the colons. The vertical bar is kind of non-intuitive as
> a prefix separator.

I wonder whether we shouldn't just dithc the whole sordid URI concatenation
mess for a straightforward aliasing scheme.  Using shell-script sytax, perhaps

:root {
 $(dc)description: "A discussion of the broader context and relevance of
XML/RDF techniques.";
 $(dc)creator: "Uche Ogbuji";
}

It's a subtle difference, but I think possibly an important one.

Using libxml in Python - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/05/14/py-xml.html
Charming Jython - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jython.h
tml
The commons of creativity - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x