   RE: [xml-dev] XML 1.1 and Unicode normalization

> > On the contrary, charmod, as I read it, expressly says that
> users are
> > required to ensure that all strings are normalized, and expressly
> > prohibits anyone from providing text processing software to
> help users
> > perform this task.
>
> Then you read it very perversely.
>
> Charmod says that *creators* of text should normalize it, and that
> *interpreters* of text should verify normalization, but
> should not normalize.

No, I'm not reading it perversely, I'm reading it literally. Read it
again - it doesn't say what you claim that it says.

What it actually says is:

"A text-processing component ... MUST NOT normalize the suspect text."

And it defines:

"A text-processing component is a component that recognizes data as
text."

The term "interpreter" is not used anywhere in the document.

We can argue about what that definition means - I would say anything
that reads octets and treats the octets as encoded characters satisfies
the definition. Perhaps the authors intended something different, but
then they should have written something different.

Michael Kay