   RE: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0

  • To: "Erik Bruchez" <erik@bruchez.org>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:33:01 -0700

Of all the things beginners have difficulty with I'd expect that telling them they need an explicit function call to convert a RTF to a node set ranks low in complexity compared to just explaining XSLT's functional nature or even worse explaining the static and strong typing rules of XSLT 2.0.

Personally I think something like EXSLT hits the 80/20 point for what people want from XSLT based on my experiences with our users. However this is not to say XSLT 2.0 does not have desirable features that cannot be implemented using just extension functions such as the notion of sequences vs. nodesets.