   Re: [xml-dev] xPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 ... size increase over v1.0

Jonathan Robie wrote:
> At 08:07 PM 6/10/2003 +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>

>>You need to provide a model of your documents written with WXS not only to
>>take advantage of the new features of XPath 2.0 but also to get it working
>>with for some fairly basic features.
>

> Which operations are you thinking of? It is certainly a goal of XPath 2.0
> (and XQuery, for that matter) to work gracefully for documents governed by
> DTDs or merely well formed documents. Some examples showing areas where you
> think there are problems would be useful.
>
> In XPath 2.0, I can certainly do things like multiply two untyped elements
> - they will be cast implicitly to double before the multiplication, which
> is what XPath 1.0 did. No schema needed. Your message seems to imply that
> this is the kind of thing you are concerned about, but I am not sure.

My judgement is heavily based on Jeni Tennison's talk at XML Europe 2003
[1].

She could elaborate better than me and said for instance:

* "Easy to get errors from a stylesheet unless you're rigorous in
keeping track of types"
* "Using schemas/types well will make things easier; not using them will
make things harder"

Eric

[1] http://www.jenitennison.com/xmleurope/WhatsNewInXSLT2.0.ppt

--