   Re: [xml-dev] modeling, validating and documenting an xml grammar

At 06:34 PM 6/18/2003 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>Right. Sometimes we want our models to capture every instance of foo...
>other times we want to flag instances for special attention. Chromosomes=46
>would be a fine cardinality for "humans with normal chromsome number" etc.

This strikes me as a feature that's marginally useful in some situations,
but marginally dangerous as well.  It's not particularly dangerous for
technical reasons, but rather because some people consider such features
license to impose as much control over a document as they want, which may
or may not lead to good design, layering, etc.

I have a had time finding cases where putting this degree of cardinality
into the schema - rather than into the application - makes much
difference.  It doesn't seem much worth fighting for, and I can't say I'll
be too excited or disappointed if RELAX NG adds the functionality or
not.  It's a trinket.