   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT vs. CSS (Re: Indexing)

Mike Kozlowski wrote;
>XSLT and CSS, as a pair of technologies, are more like Java and SQL than
>they are like Java and Python.

Good way to put it. When you start to use XML publishing frameworks like
Apache Cocoon and Forrest, you see the hidden side of XSLT show up; it's
capability as a Functional Programming language.

CSS is like SQL, you'd use its limited capabilities to 'program' a solution
only once in a while. You'd use Java to do any serious RDBMS work, SQL is
just the connector.

In the same vein, I have an XML fileset that contains a mixture of XML
namespaces, including X3D, as well as my own namespace elements. At the end
of the Cocoon transformation pipeline I get Java3D code, SVG, PDF, HTML and
PNG. Try doing that with a CSS stylesheet!

How do I get  Java3D code out of that? One of the nodes in the pipeline is a
JAXB step, where my associated Schema gets converted to java classes. An XSL
stylesheet controls part of that loop.

One of these days people are going to start thinking 'broadband' instead of
'ford vs. Chevy'. Then it will be obvious that CSS is a good icing, XSLT is
the cake.

Peter