   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT vs. CSS (Re: Indexing)

At 11:06 PM 7/8/2003 +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>I like to use (and use to teach) both in conjunction and end up by seeing
>them as more complementary than overlaping.

I find that people who know CSS to start with - especially if they learned
it with HTML -  find XSLT to be from a different planet entirely.  "Why are
XSLT transforms called 'stylesheets'?" is a pretty ordinary question.

>XSLT is good at defining the structure of what you want to present and CSS
>at defining how the result of your XSLT transformation is presented.
>That being said, I don't know if it's because of XSLT but I also deplore
>the level of support of CSS in browsers (especially IE)!

I find XSLT unnecessary in about 90% of the presentation work I do.  I
suspect most Web developers find it unnecessary in about 98% of their
work.  I also find XSLT to have been a convenient excuse for certain
vendors to ignore improving the level of support of CSS in their browsers
and in their other tools.