   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT vs. CSS (Re: Indexing)

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 12:13, Dave Pawson wrote:
> At 17:18 08/07/2003 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>

> >  I also find XSLT to have been a convenient excuse for certain vendors to
> > ignore improving the level of support of CSS in their browsers and in
> > their other tools.
>
> I don't see the logic there Simon.
> Would you expand please?

The explanation I got from a datahead, who truly had no clue why I
wanted to style xml, was:

The browser vendors need HTML/CSS, and they need XSLT to make database
dumps wrapped in pointy brackets human readable (which may as well be
HTML), so why not just convert all XML to HTML for rendering, and save
the browser guys the development effort of CSS for XML.

I worked for SoftQuad at the time, and he was willing to concede that
CSS made sense for XMetal. He just didn't believe that any developer not
at an editor vendor would see a nontrivial amount of XML that didn't
have to be reordered for presentation.

--
Frank <frank@therichards.org>