   Re: [xml-dev] Relax NG and Web Services (formerly Joining the church)

Dave Pawson wrote:
> At 13:12 10/07/2003 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>
>> To be more precise: valid/not-valid+error messages.  Despite the nice
>> things I said about RelaxNG and Jing and Trang, they have typically
>> James-Clark-esque error messages:
>
> +1
>
> Michael Kay really showed James up with xslt.
>
> I'm scratching my head with Jing and Tim's pie schema :-)
>
> Come on James, help us out a little... please.

Unfortunately, your scratching your head is not an effective way to
communicate to me that you would like me to change an error message.
The way to get me to change something is to send me a bug report
including as many as possible as:

- the error message you got
- a brief explanation of why the error message made you scratch your head
- an alternative error message that would not have made you scratch your
head
- the schema
- the instance
- the version of Jing you're using

At the very least, I need the first two. If I tried to guess what you
found confusing, I would probably get it wrong.

If the problem is just the wording, then you can change it yourself.
Extract com/thaiopensource/relaxng/impl/resources/Messages.properties
from jing.jar (e.g. with unzip), edit to taste (and send me the diffs),
and add back to jing.jar.  If it's the formatting you don't like, you
can change com/thaiopensource/xml/sax/resources/Messages.properties.

One of the problems with trying to improve error messages is that almost
nobody ever feels it's worthwhile to report a confusing/unhelpful error
message as a bug.

James