   RE: [xml-dev] Fwd: RFC 3548 on The Base16, Base32, and Base64 Data Encod

I guess you mean choosing 32768 + 1 Unicode characters, assigning a
numeric (digit) value to each of them (usually different from the code
point value of the character), expressing a binary block as a sequence
of such "digits", and encoding the resulting character string in UTF-16.
If the Unicode characters chosen are all below code point 65536, using
UTF-16 will yield 2 octets per base-32768 "digit", with one bit lost out
of 16.  Right?

Alessandro