   Re: [xml-dev] Why 3D Redux?

Thanks Len,
Interestingly, the Gagarin demo points to relevant issues about 3D
attractiveness and Internet usage. Connectivity, Download time, etc., at
parallelgraphics is pretty poor, regardless of fact I already have
Cortona on my system, and despite the relatively small file size (3.4.
MB) of the demo, and the Internet2 (i2) pipe through which I access the
Web.  We are working on compression and decimation utilities and
applications to redress bandwidth issues, and thus improve realtime
access to 3D content, but that isn't done yet. Parallelgraphics also
displays VRML files not X3D, and although it has been mentioned, I
haven't seen a really good X3D viewer yet, but then again, I have never
seen a really good VRML viewer either (other than the NEW Java 3D Viewer
in DANA-WH, an even newer version of which will be available in the
fall).  For those interested, here are some URLs for previous projects
mentioned in my last post (and a few other relevant URLs):
Archaeology technologies Lab
http://atl.ndsu.edu
Digital Archive Network for Anthropology and World Heritage (DANA-WH)
http://atl.ndsu.edu/archive and http://www.dana-wh.net
Virtual Archaeologist
http://fishhook.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/
NDSU World Wide Web Instructional Committee (WWWIC)
http://wwwic.ndsu.edu/
Geology Explorer
http://oit.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/menu/home.ie.htm
Virtual Cell
http://vcell.ndsu.edu/
Physiome.org/BioEngineering Institute, University of Auckland New
Zealand, Anatomical Markup language and CMISS Application
http://www.esc.auckland.ac.nz/sites/physiome/anatml/pages/
HumanMarkup.org
http://www.humanmarkup.org/
OASIS Human Markup Language Technical Committee
and Human Physical Characteristics Description Markup Language (HPCDML)
Subcommittee
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=humanmarkup
ASU Partnership for research In Stereo Modeling (PRISM)
http://prism.asu.edu/
International Council of Museums (ICOM), International Committee for
Documentation (CIDOC)
Conceptual referencfe Model (CRM)
http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/
Digital Anatomist Foundational Model for Anatomy
http://sig.biostr.washington.edu/projects/da/

That should keep folk busy for a while.

--
From the Desk of James E. Landrum III