   RE: [xml-dev] namespaces (was RE: [xml-dev] rss regularis(z)ation)

The article doesn't mention extensibility and namespaces in the same breath. In fact the word namespace appears only once in the article and it is when I mention that the XML Infoset has namespace information items.

> Surely you understand XML. It's not extensible, it's a fixed
> grammar. I though first you were trying to say:
>
>   'XML is Extensible with XML Namespaces'
>
> but 1) that's not XML anymore, 2) whatever it is, it is still
> not extensible since it's still a fixed grammar. I claimed
> this yesterday, feel free to refute, or handwave. I suspect
> you're trying to say:
>
>   'XML vocabularies are Extensible with XML Namespaces'

Nope, I was trying to say

    'XML vocabularies are extensible'

Namespaces help in this but are not the be all and end all of the extensibility story of XML vocabularies.

> but, 3) that's not about XML anymore, that's about
> vocabualaries (or content models), 4) XML Namespaces don't
> make vocabularies extensible they just allow the them to be
> partitioned.

Partitioning is important if multiple parties will be extending your vocabulary. Just look at RSS for examples of where this partitioning has proved useful.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Any given program, when running, is obsolete.