   Re: [xml-dev] more politics

John Cowan wrote:

> Tim Bray scripsit:
>

>>I think it would be Good if life were that simple, but whereas the
>>abstraction of "the document" vs "what the document's about" works
>>beautifully, I'm told, in the discipline of architecture, I just don't
>>have good experiences trying to make things in other application spaces
>>line up so neatly.
>

> Can you provide some examples?

The many millions of web pages that aren't about anything in particular
(they contain poems, or abstract art, or whatever).  The (physical)
robots and coke-machines and so on that can be controlled via HTTP.

I'm not claiming for a moment that this isn't a useful relationship;
just that it's not remotely universal.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)