   RE: [xml-dev] Xpath Question

Sorry but this is FUD.

XPath 1.0 has no conformance requirement on what data model a parser
needs to generate.

Unless you have an explicit xml:space="preserve" set, the generation of
the datamodel as a consumer of the output of the XML parser (which
always preserves all the whitespace) can drop the boundary whitespace
text nodes.

Best regards
Michael

XPath
> is
> significant, hence burdening a stylesheet writer with indicating which
> elements have ignorable white-space using <xsl:strip-space>.
>
> A big problem teaching XSLT to users of Microsoft products is that IE
> engages MSXML throwing away *all* whitespace, which doesn't conform to
> XPath 1.0.  See[2] the IE6 report below.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> .................... Ken
>

> [1] Using Saxon:
>
> T:\ftemp>type dare.xml
> <pre>
>    <b>bold</b>
>    <i>italic</i>
> </pre>
>
> T:\ftemp>showtree dare.xml
>
> T:\ftemp>type dare.xml.shw
> SHOWTREE Stylesheet - http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/
> Processor: SAXON 6.5.2 from Michael Kay
> 1  Element 'pre':
> 1.I  Namespace 'xml': {http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace}
> 1.1  Text (pre): {
>    }
> 1.2  Element 'b' (pre):
> 1.2.I  Namespace 'xml': {http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace}
> 1.2.1  Text (pre,b): {bold}
> 1.3  Text (pre): {
>    }
> 1.4  Element 'i' (pre):
> 1.4.I  Namespace 'xml': {http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace}
> 1.4.1  Text (pre,i): {italic}
> 1.5  Text (pre): {
> }
> T:\ftemp>
>
> [2] Using MSXML through IE6 and copying the screen contents to the
> clipboard:
>
> T:\ftemp>type dare-ms.xml
> <?xml-stylesheet href="showtree.msxsl" type="text/xsl"?>
> <pre>
>    <b>bold</b>
>    <i>italic</i>
> </pre>
>
> T:\ftemp>copy con nul
> SHOWTREE Stylesheet
> file:///T:/ftemp/dare-ms.xml
> http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/
>
> Root:
> 1 Proc. Inst. 'xml-stylesheet' (): {href="showtree.msxsl"
type="text/xsl"}