   RE: [xml-dev] Xpath Question

At 2003-07-25 15:01 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>Then I guess you're saying that the XPath 1.0 model is useless if you
>want a reliably consistent model of a given XML document?
>
>Oh well.

Don't despair for XSLT 1.0, Simon, I believe it is reliably consistent.  To
summarize points I made in a post a few moments ago, this time without any
references to any products whatsoever:

(1) Chapter 17 of http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xslt-19991116 states "A
conforming XSLT processor must be able to use a stylesheet to transform a
source tree into a result tree as specified in this document."

(2) section 3 of http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xslt-19991116 states "The
data model used by XSLT is the same as that used by XPath with the
additions described in this section"

(3) the applicable statements from section 3.4 of
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xslt-19991116 indicate that when an instance
is being treated as a source file to build a source node tree and the
stylesheet does not include any <xsl:strip-space> or <xsl:preserve-space>
instructions then all text nodes in such source node trees are preserved
because:

   (a) - the element name of the parent of the text node is in the set of
whitespace-preserving element names
   (b) - for source documents, the set of whitespace-preserving element
names is specified by xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space top-level elements
   (c) - initially, the set of whitespace-preserving element names contains
all element names

I see these statements as reliable and unambiguous.  Looking at XSLT 1.0 I
don't see any other statements that might conflict with the above.

................ Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
North America public:  XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc