From: Danny Ayers <danny666@virgilio.it>
Sent: 07/29/03 12:53 PM
To: Linda Grimaldi <grimlinda@earthlink.net>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] OWL-ish question

> Hi Linda,
I believe it is ok, but I'm less certain it'll do what you want.

> <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="hasMapping">
>    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#ClassA">
>    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#ClassA">
>    <rdf:type rdf:resource="&owl;TransitiveProperty"/>
>    <mappingClass rdf:resource="#MappingClass"/>
> </owl:ObjectProperty>

This part on its own :

> <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="hasMapping">
>    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#ClassA">
>    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#ClassA">
>    <rdf:type rdf:resource="&owl;TransitiveProperty"/>
> </owl:ObjectProperty>

is textbook stuff,

(I'd have made it a typed element meself, but whatever)

this part on its own :

> <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="hasMapping">
>    <mappingClass rdf:resource="#MappingClass"/>
> </owl:ObjectProperty>

is *also* textbook stuff for regular RDF classes. So put them together and
think it's fine. But note that the mapping class will be fixed on the
property - the same mapping class will apply for all use of the property,
i.e. it's a schema thing. Is that what you were after?

Beware too of possible problems with cardinality on TransitiveProperty.

> > I'm trying to figure out a good way to model the following
> problem type in
> OWL and would appreciate any help the more OWLish members of the
> list could
> offer.  (BTW, is there a better list for RDF/OWL questions?).

heh, a headcount would be interesting (1,2,3 swivel!)

The W3C lists are probably more OWLish : rdf-logic I think is closest,
then
rdf-interest.
You mentioned Java - are you using Jena? If so don't forget jena-dev. The
esw and rdfweb lists might also be appropriate, depending on what country
(Europe) and domain (FOAF) you're working on. If you hear of any more
please
let me know ;-)

Cheers,
Danny.