   RE: [xml-dev] A parentless element that is not the document node - how?

> The XSLT 2.0 spec talks about "parentless elements".  As far
> as I know, there can only be one element in a source document
> that is parentless - the document node.  Yet, the XSLT 2.0
> spec seems to suggest that there may be other parentless
> element nodes.  Can someone tell me what they may be?

As David Carlisle explained, they are nodes that are not part of any
document.

For example, you can create a set of three parentless attribute nodes
as:

<xsl:variable name="trio" as="attribute()*">
  <xsl:attribute name="colour">red</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="size">big</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="mood">happy</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute>

and you can then attach this to an element using:

<e>
 <xsl:copy-of select="$trio"/>
</e>

and of course you can do the same with element nodes rather than
attributes.

Michael Kay