   RE: [xml-dev] Patented XML Compression Techniques (WAS RE: [xml-dev] Bin

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned the new standard initiative that has been
started as joint work of JTC1 and ITU-T, regarding both a schema-independent
representation of the XML infoset using ASN.1 and PER, and a semantic
equivalent of the SOAP 1.2 envelope defined in ASN.1.

The standard will also specify:

- how datatypes defined in ASN.1 and encoded in PER (or any other standard
encoding rules of ASN.1) can be exchanged by including them in an ASN.1-SOAP
envelope

- how to include in an ASN.1-SOAP envelope an infoset for which a schema has
not been provided, by representing it in ASN.1 and encoding it in PER

- how to handle data definitions specified in XML Schema: the schemas will
be translated to ASN.1 using the X.694 standard mapping

- how to handle canonicalization issues when using binary encodings

- content negotiation issues

and so on.

Note that:

- the ASN.1 language standards are open and freely downloadable from the
ITU-T website

- there is no IP encumbrance on the ASN.1 language standards, and there will
be none on the new prospective standard mentioned above

- the new prospective standard satisfies your requirement that the data
access and interchange are not IP owned by any one company or individual

- the new prospective standard satisfies your requirement that the formats
are public and specified

- there is no reason that standardization in this area will increase the
costs of participation for smaller companies and individual.  Several ASN.1
langage tools are freely available.  A service based on the ASN.1-SOAP
envelope, application data types defined in ASN.1, and the ASN.1 schema for
the infoset, can be implemented using either free tools or professional
tools.

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva