   RE: [xml-dev] rss 0.91 with rdf extension

Bill wrote:
>The extension doesn't matter a whit.

>It's the delivered MIME type that matters more, which is
>application/rss+xml
>regardless of version.

Are there any systems out there that determine the MIME type by
extension? Yes.
So if the MIME type matters more, then on those systems the extension
can be considered to matter as much as the MIME type, with whatever
additional meaningfulness can be ascribed to the extension.

Currently as far as I know there is no web server/application that
returns MIME type of xml by instance structure. It wouldn't be too
difficult to build an app that did this however.

Another thing would be, what if say, I'm building an application that
searches the web for RDF, one of the things I'm gonna do is go by
extension... an extension on the web is an important method for
determining advisability of issuing a GET against the resource,
obviously one always has to provide filtering but originally I was
thinking that there was a particular product outputting rss version 0.91
with a RDF extension. If so this was some good data to have.

Bob wrote:

>I just pulled down the feed with a pubDate of Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:33:38
PST >and I don't see any RDF in there.

Right the original reason I found it was that I was looking for files
with rdf extension and then just the text rss, which I was hoping to
parse further to find rss 1.0 files, I got that feed from Wired, so I
thought, that's interesting data if indeed there is a product that
outputs rss 0.91 with RDF extension, I have a good chance of identifying
feeds running said product, Dave Winer indicated it was probably "based
on Vignette" and "There was a lot of confusion about what RDF was back
when Wired's feed came online." Thus indicating that unfortunately this
was unlikely to be useful data.