   Re: [xml-dev] rss 0.91 with rdf extension

Bill is right here. In the web environment, HTTP headers should be used
to determine MIME etc with extentions just being a fallback mechanism.
You can always get just the headers with an HTTP HEAD; no need to
request the whole resource.

Cheers,

Manos

bryan wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
>>The extension doesn't matter a whit.
>

>>It's the delivered MIME type that matters more, which is
>>application/rss+xml
>>regardless of version.
>

> Are there any systems out there that determine the MIME type by
> extension? Yes.
> So if the MIME type matters more, then on those systems the extension
> can be considered to matter as much as the MIME type, with whatever
> additional meaningfulness can be ascribed to the extension.
>
> Currently as far as I know there is no web server/application that
> returns MIME type of xml by instance structure. It wouldn't be too
> difficult to build an app that did this however.
>
> Another thing would be, what if say, I'm building an application that
> searches the web for RDF, one of the things I'm gonna do is go by
> extension... an extension on the web is an important method for
> determining advisability of issuing a GET against the resource,
> obviously one always has to provide filtering but originally I was
> thinking that there was a particular product outputting rss version 0.91
> with a RDF extension. If so this was some good data to have.
>

> Bob wrote:
>

>>I just pulled down the feed with a pubDate of Thu, 07 Aug 2003 02:33:38
>
> PST >and I don't see any RDF in there.
>
> Right the original reason I found it was that I was looking for files
> with rdf extension and then just the text rss, which I was hoping to
> parse further to find rss 1.0 files, I got that feed from Wired, so I
> thought, that's interesting data if indeed there is a product that
> outputs rss 0.91 with RDF extension, I have a good chance of identifying
> feeds running said product, Dave Winer indicated it was probably "based
> on Vignette" and "There was a lot of confusion about what RDF was back
> when Wired's feed came online." Thus indicating that unfortunately this
> was unlikely to be useful data.

Manos Batsis

http://www.netsmart.gr
mbatsis at netsmart dot gr