   RE: [xml-dev] rss 0.91 with rdf extension

>Bill is right here. In the web environment, HTTP headers should be used

>to determine MIME etc with extentions just being a fallback mechanism.
>You can always get just the headers with an HTTP HEAD; no need to
>request the whole resource.

Two things there:

1. You're right, should use HTTP HEAD to get MIME type

2. But if the MIME type is being set by the server dependent on
extension this is not sure-fire.

In a Windows environment the extension of something is important to the
system, I figure most servers set to run on Windows will be using the
extension to determine MIME. This can have its drawbacks, but it is also
determined by the importance windows puts on extensions.
Example is IIS:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodt
echnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/deployguide/iisdg_dep_wzvf.asp

Rdf extension if a file with that extension is in fact RDF then it can
be important to get a MIME type of application/rdf+xml or
application/rss+xml dependent on what one is doing. This is why I
discussed that it might be nice to have an application that determines
the most appropriate MIME type from an xml instance structure, as an
interface to a set of webresources.

As in mimeresolver.aspx?page=rss.rdf

At any rate that's what I was thinking about there.