   Re: [xml-dev] rss 0.91 with rdf extension

Hi Bryan,

bryan wrote:
> Two things there:
>
> 1. You're right, should use HTTP HEAD to get MIME type
>
> 2. But if the MIME type is being set by the server dependent on
> extension this is not sure-fire.

Well, the server does not respond with a MIME type just by the file
extention. In a dynamically generated response, the server side "page"
(JSP/PHP/ASP/whatever) is responsible for that. My point was that in
general, the server side stuff is responsible on picking the right MIME.

<snip/>
 > This is why I
> discussed that it might be nice to have an application that determines
> the most appropriate MIME type from an xml instance structure, as an
> interface to a set of webresources.
>
> As in mimeresolver.aspx?page=rss.rdf

Yes, this may be usefull (or even mandatory depending on your app).
Perhaps using SAX (to avoid parsing the whole tree into memory) and go
till the first startElement event to check the namespace of the root
node, then use that to determine what the file wants to be.

Cheers,

--
Manos Batsis

http://www.netsmart.gr