   RE: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?
  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:37:26 -0400

At 4:06 PM +0100 7/25/03, Robin LaFontaine wrote:
>There was a paper in this area by Daniel Winkowski (Mitre Corp) at
>XML 2002 in Baltimore, with the title, "XML Sizing and Compression
>Study for Military Wireless Data" [1]. Conclusion was as far as I
>remember from the presentation: XML+compression is best!

I requested the original data for this paper when it was first
published. The authors were unwilling to provide it. Apparently it's
proprietary. Thus it was impossible to either verify or disprove
their conclusions.

Evven assuming there results were accurate, it was not possible to
determine the nature of the documents they tested. Thus I could not
determine in what domains their results were likely to be
significant. It was not possible to determine what characteristics of
their data led to their results, and whether these results were
likely to be reproducible for the types of documents I (or anyone
else) works with.

I hope that the people reviewing submissions for the W3C workshop
will require that all original data be made publicly and freely
available to all interested parties so that results can be inspected,
checked, verified, and so forth.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu