   Re: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

John Cowan wrote:

>Dennis Sosnoski scripsit:
>

>>I'm getting a several times (2-4X) performance improvement using my XMLS
>>format (http://www.sosnoski.com/opensrc/xmls), as compared to SAX2
>>parsing of text.
>>

>It would be interesting to compare this special-purpose well-formed-XML
>compression with a general compression algorithm tuned for speed and
>small space rather than compact compression, such as LZO
>(http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/).   There is a Java implementation
>available there under the GPL.

It'd be interesting to see how fast something like LZO works on the text
files, but it wouldn't really be a comparison with XMLS. The whole point
of XMLS is to work with infoset items rather than text. If you compress
text with LZO (or any other text-based compression scheme) you still
have to convert to and from the infoset as an added processing step.

I've actually renamed the new code as XBIS, partially to emphasize this
(and partially because xmls.org was already taken when I looked into
getting an appropriate domain earlier this year...).

  - Dennis