   RE: [xml-dev] Symbol Grounding and Running Code: Is XML Really Extensib

  • To: "John Cowan" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Symbol Grounding and Running Code: Is XML Really Extensible?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:50:53 -0700
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Yes, and we have ways of teaching humans what natural language text
means. Do we have ways of teaching machines what natural language text
means let alone markup tags. Like I said in
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/8/8/122029/2205. To claim that one
can do this means one has a technique where

1.) I can take a vanilla XSLT processor and pass it a stylesheet with
EXSLT extension elements which my XSLT processor automatically learns
how to process as valid stylesheet instructions.

AND

2.) I can take a vanilla W3C XML Schema processor and pass it a schema
with embedded Schematron assertions which it automatically learns how to
use to validate an input document in addition to using the W3C XML
Schema rules.

since these are both "simple" cases of mixing XML vocabularies with
agreed upon semantics.

As far as I'm concerned this is an unfeasible problem to attempt to
solve and claiming otherwise is as ludicrous as the claims many were
making about AI in the 80s and about the Semantic Web in the 90s.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Eat right, Exercise, Die anyway.

rights.