   Re: [xml-dev] Symbol Grounding and Running Code: Is XML Really Extensib

Dare Obasanjo scripsit:

> Agreed. XML is about syntax and nothing else. People who think otherwise
> have been misled by the XML hype of yesteryear.

Every word that Tim Bray says about markup at
http://tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/08/11/SymbolGrounding applies with
exactly equal force to ordinary human-readable natural language text.
We have parsers in our heads that transform the stream of language into
something resembling a tree (we think!), and then we attach semantics
to it by intuition, definitions (themselves linguistic artefacts),
and experience.  You who read this do not understand any of the words in
it based on a formal theory of word-understanding, for there is none.

--
Work hard,                                      John Cowan
play hard,                                      jcowan@reutershealth.com