   RE: [xml-dev] Symbol Grounding and Running Code: Is XML Really E xtensi

We sign the indemnity clauses that are not excessive.
That is not a problem for my company.  It would be
better to do business with like-minded vendors.
I'm sure other middle system vendors will agree.

As for companies that move ahead without managing their
risks, the fast moving Internet world is still writing
off the costs of their losses.  Excuse me, the losses
of their investors are being written off.  Many of their
managers retired on the money they took from them.

The folks who taught us how to manage development
risks were Germans.  They built systems that put
man on the moon without a single failure, and they
still build Mercedes.  You should acquaint yourself
with Meredes' policy for feature analysis.
Because of it, they have an outstanding warranty
and a booming business for high cost, high quality
products.

Whoever solves the indemnity problem for software systems
wins the market.  Simple and sure.

len

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]

I just don't buy that. Your company may act like that, Len, but if so
then the companies that make technical decisions based on technical
constraints rather than fear of lawsuits are going to eat your lunch.
The more I work in American business, the more cases I see where
lawsuit avoidance is crippling businesses and severely impacting
their bottom line. The ones that succeed, especially in the fast
moving world of the Internet, are the ones that move ahead with good
ideas without consulting the lawyers, or worrying excessively about
being sued.