   Java SAX tools (was: Re: [xml-dev] Adding standalone="yes" to XMLdocumen

Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> Yes.  SAX2's LexicalHandler includes a "standalone" flag, so if one uses SAX
> as an *output* format you should have control over that declaration.  My
> mistake (I wasn't thinking broadly enough, even though I've used SAX for
> output a air bit before).
>
> So I guess the solution might indeed be for the OP to switch to a Java SAX
> writer.  Might be more efficient, too.

Which brings me to a slightly mundane question: since a SAX XML writer doesn't
appear to be part of Java's core XML support, which one is most recommended and
is it complete? Everytime I use Java's XML tools I find the lack of a central
place to go for software extremely painful (to say the least). Also, no one
seems to be providing simple and small SAX filters that perform just one task
well, or automatic context handling, or a lightweight SAX pipeline manager (as
opposed to something that does too much more than one needs and by that consumes
too much developer memory to use). And despite sporadic mention, as of a few
months ago I could see no trace of work on a JAXP equivalent for the final
handler side.

To summarize, is it just me not having found the right places, or does Java have
nothing between the rudimentary stuff and the high-level (schema-based data
binding, etc) stuff? If so, why? Since most of the docs out there seem stuck on
SAX 1 stuff despite the availability of SAX 2, I suspect there are hidden levels
but I was never really good at those games ;)

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/