   RE: [xml-dev] Paypal

Why don't you, Len and the rest take it to comp.risks? I like offtopic threads as much as everyone else but DANG this is getting a bit much.

________________________________

From: Rich Salz [mailto:rsalz@datapower.com]
Sent: Thu 8/14/2003 11:24 AM
To: Elliotte Rusty Harold
Cc: Bullard, Claude L (Len); 'Simon St.Laurent'; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] Paypal

I know it's off-topic, but I think folks on this list like knowing
this kind of thing.

Paypal originally worked (maybe still does) by "crediting" your
CCard account.  That's in strict violation of how the credit cards
are supposed to work.  When a former colleague (our common employer
is now gone) asked Visa and MC their opinion about this, they said
"we know, we're letting it happen because we're curious what's
gonna happen."

So Paypal's exposure was even greater, and from the very beginning.
        /r$
XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html