   Re: [xml-dev] XML database enviroment using PostgreSQL

Sure - I think a concrete example would better illustrate my point.
Several years ago I worked on the prototype of a US Environmental
Protection Agency initative called "Central Data Exchange (CDX[1])". CDX
is the point of entry (a central hub) for environmental data submissions
to EPA from entities such as governemnt agencies, states, localities,
tribes, and laboratories. The submissions would be along the lines of
water testing results, factory emmissions, etc. In this context,one may
classify this XML information as "data-oriented"/"exchange-oriented",
rather than "document-oriented"/"record-oriented".

However, because of various regulations, EPA was required to archive the
submissions not only as they were received - but in every stage of their
life cycle (i.e. whatever processing was applied to the data, such as
conversion from XML to flat-file format). These archives - a.k.a
"records" - were required to be retained for certain number of years (I
*believe* 25 years), for multiple reasons among which was to allow them
to be used as evidence in litigation if necessary.

So in summary, this "data-oriented"/"exchange-oriented" XML was also
considered to be "record-oriented".

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://www.epa.gov/cdx/

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> At 3:28 PM -0400 8/14/03, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> >Thinking more about the term "record-like" for what is commonly called
> >"data-oriented" XML: One may run into some disagreement with the notion
> >that "document-oriented" (or narrative) XML does not involve records (I
> >am intentionally speaking very generally here). For example, given the
> >recent Sarbanes-Oxley Act here in the U.S., every "type" of XML is
> >expected to be record-oriented.
> >

> Could you elaborate on that point? That doesn't seem at all
> self-evident to me. I'm not sure what you mean.
> --
>
>    Elliotte Rusty Harold
>    elharo@metalab.unc.edu
>    Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
>    http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
>    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano