   RE: [xml-dev] A standard approach to glueing together reusable XML frag

I recall that back at Microstar [and quite some number of years ago now] we
had an SGML product [whose name now escapes me] that was sort of a meta
language on top of omnimark... you were responsible as author to author a
"document" with embedded "fetches" in it from some "Store" to get the
fragments required.  This was translated into appropriate omnimark code that
did the actual assembly.  It was primarily directed at the Canadian CALS DTD
I believe, where the possible fragments were not infinite, and were
reasonably well defined in advance.

One useful side effect that I had noticed was that something like this could
be used as a authoring planning tool.. you build this "document assembly
plan" which contained original text plus fetches from some store [which was
in effect, a formal definition of the final required output document]. If
the target of the Fetch was in fact not there [yet], you could still create
the assembly plan, and a "zeroth" copy of the fragment to be "fetched" which
might be nothing other than instructions to an author as to what what needed
to be authored in the fragment.  The collection of all these zeroth copies
for any document represented work yet to be done.  The fragments could be
farmed out to your collection of authors to complete [via whatever workflow
system you might employ]. The authoring task was to convert the zeroth
version [instructions on what to do] into the version 1.0 [the actual
authored fragement].

As was pointed out... all functions required by a more modern content
management system.

Cheers...Hugh

W. Hugh Chatfield  I.S.P.
CyberSpace Industries 2000 Inc.