   RE: [xml-dev] What's the delay with XSLT/XPath 2.0?

Development of specifications, like software, takes longer when the
organization gets bigger and the number of interactions increases. XSLT,
and W3C specification work generally, is suffering from this problem. In
fact every standards consortium in the history of IT has hit it at one
stage or another - they all start out small and fast, and end up big and
slow. If you know how to solve the problem, there are lots of people who
would like to know the answer.

XSLT specification work actually proceeds very efficiently - the group
is still small, and decisions get made very quickly. Most of the working
group's time, however, is spent coordinating with other WGs on other
specifications. Making decisions on XPath, where far more people have an
interest, is by contrast incredibly slow and tortuous. There are simply
too many cooks.

Michael Kay