   RE: [xml-dev] Are we ready for the namespace ID registry, yet? (w as: Re

> I'm sorry, I clearly misunderstood. What were you proposing a registry
> for?

Namespace short-string identifier registry.  I did use the word "prefixes",
but in the sense that these identifiers would be prepended to local names.
They're not stubs for full namespace IDs, they are the IDs.

The reason they're short is so that they can be used for prefixing. Such ID
prefixes would be mandatory, to eliminate scoping issues. They'd be used for
both attribute and element names, and namespaces in content.

Perhaps I'm just stubborn or ignorant for thinking that namespace scoping
issues are the fundamental processing problem for XML. Forcing namespaces in
root, as you suggest, do simplify scoping considerably.  Still presents a
problem for brain-dead cut & paste operations, though, which I'm thinking is
done "manually" more often that is commonly thought.

Any registry is a hard pill to swallow.  I would only suggest it because (as
I've said in a previous thread long ago) it's a pretty simple registry. A
registry of very short string namespace authority identifiers would be even
simpler, since there are few authorities than namespaces, and it offloads
maintenance of namespace IDs to the authorities.

I don't blame anyone if they think the idea sucks. But criminy: how long we
gonna harp on about complexity of namespace handling in this mailing list?
Here I am, stuck in this permathread again, and what's worse, I started it.