   Re: [xml-dev] Are we ready for the namespace ID registry, yet? (was: Rel

<Quote>
A registry of very short string namespace authority identifiers would be
even simpler, since there are few authorities than namespaces, and it
offloads maintenance of namespace IDs to the authorities.

I don't blame anyone if they think the idea sucks. But criminy: how long
we gonna harp on about complexity of namespace handling in this mailing
list? Here I am, stuck in this permathread again, and what's worse, I
started it.</Quote>

Perhaps it may help if we scope this a bit else spin our wheels for
eternity. Are we speaking here of a registry model/standard that can be
implemented and used by public and private authorities alike, or a
single, centralized public registry that is under a single authority?

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Jeff Lowery wrote:

> > I'm sorry, I clearly misunderstood. What were you proposing a registry
> > for?
>
> Namespace short-string identifier registry.  I did use the word "prefixes",
> but in the sense that these identifiers would be prepended to local names.
> They're not stubs for full namespace IDs, they are the IDs.
>
> The reason they're short is so that they can be used for prefixing. Such ID
> prefixes would be mandatory, to eliminate scoping issues. They'd be used for
> both attribute and element names, and namespaces in content.
>
> Perhaps I'm just stubborn or ignorant for thinking that namespace scoping
> issues are the fundamental processing problem for XML. Forcing namespaces in
> root, as you suggest, do simplify scoping considerably.  Still presents a
> problem for brain-dead cut & paste operations, though, which I'm thinking is
> done "manually" more often that is commonly thought.
>
> Any registry is a hard pill to swallow.  I would only suggest it because (as
> I've said in a previous thread long ago) it's a pretty simple registry. A
> registry of very short string namespace authority identifiers would be even
> simpler, since there are few authorities than namespaces, and it offloads
> maintenance of namespace IDs to the authorities.
>
> I don't blame anyone if they think the idea sucks. But criminy: how long we
> gonna harp on about complexity of namespace handling in this mailing list?
> Here I am, stuck in this permathread again, and what's worse, I started it.

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano