   RE: [xml-dev] Postel's Law Has No Exceptions

> Speaking from server implementation experience: just because one
popular
> server chose to be "liberal" (in that case, non-compliant),
implementors
> competing servers are now forced to implement that buggy behaviour as

That case (assuming you mean WebDAV servers) is not an example of
"liberal in what you accept".  If the servers in question are so
liberal, why do they not accept perfectly wellformed input from other
clients?  If they are conservative in sending, why do they produce
non-wellformed XML?  Certain WebDAV servers seem like a perfect example
of blatant disregard for Postel's law to me.

There is a difference between gracefully recovering from recoverable
input errors and *requiring* input errors as a condition of functioning.