   Re: [xml-dev] Are we ready for the namespace ID registry, yet? (was: Re

<Quote>
The other option is to define a different id:localName separator.
</Quote>

I'm a bit perplexed as to why you're not thinking along the lines of
hierarhical URN/URL structure here. An example from an emerging U.S.
federal government namespace recommendations document:

The Department of Defense (DoD).  DoD has dod.gov registered;
conse-quently, the available XML URN is: urn:us:gov:dod. DoD would have
the option to further delineate this URN to accommodate its individual
agencies:

- urn:us:gov:dod:don
- urn:us:gov:dod:don:navy
- urn:us:gov:dod:don:usmc
- urn:us:gov:dod:doa

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Jeff Lowery wrote:

> > <Quote2>
> > I realize this would have HUGE impact on legacy XML,
> > </Quote2>
> >
> > Impact on what?
>
> Well, for one we're talking about eliminating the need for namespace
> declarations. Just about everything would break, at least if you hope to
> separate local name from namespace ID, or have documents that mix this
> proposed scheme with existing Namespaces in XML stuff.  Otherwise, you're
> left with swallowing the whole name, id and all, atomically, in
> non-namespaced documents only, and separating them using your own parser.
>
> The other option is to define a different id:localName separator. There
> ain't that many Name chars to choose from, at least in the low-order,
> although some smarty-pants may come by and correct me if I'm wrong.
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano