   Re: [xml-dev] A standard approach to glueing together reusableXML fragme

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:43:26AM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>   When you get to 64-bit land, the price/performance of
> Itanium/SPARC/Alpha is not even close.

  Oh, right, but that's a volume policy. None of these (well except the
Sparc recently) tried to get outside the "server" market, i.e. low
volume and high prices.

> (BTW, I hear persistent reports that Linux/Opteron is still flaky).

  Really ? It's quite stable for us. It's a new platform, so there might
be some rough edges at various levels, but the boxes we have run quite
well (and fast !). I'm not sure I would try to buy one as my workstation
right now, but for server stuff I would have no hesitation myself. Being
a new platform not that many software has been ported and even less
certified yet. But the whole OS and usual free software should be there,
the beta version of the next Red Hat Linux Enterprise is available for
that platform:
  ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/beta/taroon/en/iso/AMD64

  However it is also clear that Open Source software stability is in a
large part due to the test/report/fix/release/test... process, and while
most of it is platform independant, the volume is a convergence criteria
for stability on new platform, so this play there too, not just at the
price level.

  Loan a box, test the bits and decide :-)

Daniel