   Re: [xml-dev] Are we ready for the namespace ID registry, yet? (was: Rel

<Quote>
in order to properly mix two namespaces:
<Quote>

Why would one want to do this? What advantages would it afford? In what
scenarios would it be useful?

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Jeff Lowery wrote:

> Speaking of reckless recommendations, has anyone previously given thought to
> namespaces of the form:
>
> <np1:root  xmlns:np1="http://www.example.com/ns1";
> xmlns:np2="http://www.example.com/ns2";>
>
>    <np1:foo/>
>    <np2:bar>
>       <np2:np1:baz/> <!-- this one -->
>    </np2:bar>
> </np1:root>
>
> I know this is disallowed by Namespaces in XML Rec, but to me it could be
> helpful for the types of namespace mixing pointed out by Arjun Ray awhile
> back.
>
> For the np2:np1:baz element above, the local name baz is interpreted to be
> qualified by three distinct namespaces: ../ns1, ../ns2, and the hybrid
> ../ns1|../ns2 (signified by either np1:np2:baz for np2:np1:baz; order of
> qualification is irrelevant).
>
> The point is not to solve the problem of needing some semantic knowledge in
> order to properly mix two namespaces: some function still needs to know
> which elements get tagged with both their original namespace and the
> overarching namespace. But it at least allows just _one_ function to have to
> know-- the rest can just stupidly parse the qualified names, with awareness
> of either one or both qualifiers.
>
> Just thinking out loud...

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano