   Re: XML CMM and ISO9000 compliance? - was A standard approach toglueing

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 00:10, pop3 wrote:
> Thank you for your response, Rick.
>
> I agree that the record detail structure is closer, but absent normal forms
> I just don't see how I can (or other folks can) advocate XML only
> technology solutions in an ISO9000 or CMM compliant shop where phrases like
> "..will use only proven best practices.." are in the statement of work, the
> mission statement, the corporate policies and procedures, or the IT shop
> process guidelines. In fact, it seems to me that XML usage is clearly a
> process weakness that should be properly identified as such in various CMM
> process areas as they are fulfilled.
that's why there's conservative people and risk taking people and bits
in between. you may have to wait until it's proven best practice - rdbms
technology took at least 15 years to be accepted as such, and to a large
extent i think that what was delivered was proven best brochures and
proven tier one suppliers - neither has a lot to do with proven best
technology - but this approach meets all sorts of contractual
requirements

i guess i'm lucky in having a number of clients who have a different
approach and encourage use of sometimes experimental techniques to try
and get a business advantage.

in 10 years or so the experience of early adopters will provide the
proven technology you need for more conservative projects.

it's all part of our complex business :)

rick