   Re: [xml-dev] XML and the Relational Model (was Re: [xml-dev] A standar

Hmmm, and I suppose I could respond that Ada was never fully appreciated
either, even unto this very day. But that would also be off topic. Few
scientists who play by all the rules are ever appreciated, even within
their own communities, in my opinion.

Not to give away the store here, but I like doing XML docs with dbms
structures in systems like Oracle, thereby gaining I think the best of both
worlds, relational and XML, even if the doc is like gigabytes in size. Nor
does such an approach require a heavy metal solution, or TeraText or other
bleeding edge product sets. I just am not going to advocate, as far as my
own work goes, what I consider to be a poor practice, or a failure prone
practice - namely Pure XML.

My point is that while doing a database as rows and columns of data in a
spreadsheet (like Excel) within a document (like Word) within files across
directories is just not the best approach, even if it does initially run in
like seconds. The maintenance is murder.

Various math proofs point this out, from both the Relational Model (dbms,
RDBMS) side and from the Heiarchichal Data Model (XML) side. Various well
known business cases also exist, in casual journalism as well as academic
journals and academic text books, showing the problems with this kind of
approach.

If the pointy haired boss realized he was authorizing the creation of a
multi-level spreadsheet data store (with variations), across desks and
across directories, even he would not do it, having learned from the
termination of his predecessor for exactly that reason (hundreds or
thousands of spreadsheets with little or no documentation, over half of
which are essential to the core business processes). Moral:  Information
Islands are a Bad Thing in almost all cases.

Now, having said all that it seems important to reiterate what I have said
before - that XML is the best tool for the job in some cases, and a dbms is
the best tool for the job in some cases, and neither is __always__ the best
or "only" tool that should be considered.

It seems to me that the information island thing is happening, is happening
alot, and that there will be hell to pay (but not by me, thank you very
much). The pointy haired boss dude is going to let it land on your desk, or
mine, if he can... and I Do Not Want It.

Thanks.