   Re: [xml-dev] XML and the Relational Model (was Re: [xml-dev] A standar

At 06:40 PM 8/26/2003, pop3 wrote:

>My point is that while doing a database as rows and columns of data in a
>spreadsheet (like Excel) within a document (like Word) within files across
>directories is just not the best approach, even if it does initially run
>in like seconds. The maintenance is murder.

With respect, I doubt that this is what anybody in the XML world advocates,
at least not the people with real experience building systems.

>Various math proofs point this out, from both the Relational Model (dbms,
>RDBMS) side and from the Heiarchichal Data Model (XML) side.

With respect, you have been referring in general to math proofs throughout
this thread - perhaps it is time that you refer to a specific math proof,
tell us what it showed, and what ramifications it has for us? Without that,
there's no difference between "various math proofs", "all the experts
agree", "everyone knows", or any other empty phrase that I can associate
with my opinion to make it sound more impressive without forcing myself to
actually say something.

Jonathan