   RE: [xml-dev] XML and the Relational Model (was Re: [xml-dev] A standar

Again, if best practices are what is wanted, Roger Costello's
techniques are effective.  He is very good at posing 'one
question at a time' and deriving from that.  Larry isn't
asking for best practices.  He wants formal proofs.

Formal proofs are fine.   Tell me what is to be proved.  The
problems of formal proofs also have to be understood (the
closed world of axioms elaborated by Hofstadter, self-referential
systems, and so on) but that discussion is something of a
rat hole.

What are the axioms?  What is to be proven?

If it is simply justification that an XML-only approach won't
scale up to extremely large live datasets, does anyone
really disagree with XML or with the particular approach
to the database.  XML is a syntax.  XML applications are
instances of data using that syntax.  XML systems are
implementations of XML applications.  Do the provable
properties vary by application?  Likely.

BTW:  over the lifecycle of a dataset, markup has proven by
experience to be remarkably robust if the test is getting
it off a dieing system and onto a new one.  Without the
documentation, dumps of relational tables are not very good
for that unless they are dumped in markup.

len