   Re: [xml-dev] xml taxonomy

Murali Mani <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU> writes:

> Your representation in ER could be for one of the following 2 things..
>
> (a) Show how an ER representation can be serialized into XML, and given an
> ER schema how we can translate it to an XML representation.
>
> (b) Given an XML schema, how can we represent it in ER. for example, we
> can translate it into entity types such as "complexTypeDefinition" etc...
> Rather a kind of normalization/rewriting of XML schema..
>
> I now see that your intent is (a), which is show how an ER representation
> can be translated to an XML document..

Yes indeed.

> The question then for (a) is how do you handle entity types that are
> related to multiple types, recursive etc.. In other words, do you provide
> means of "breaking the hierarchy"... i.e. we do not want the same entity
> type to be represented multiple times..

Well, I made the er: document type up on the fly, since real existing
generic document types such as those available for UML were too
complex for my limited expository purposes, so I don't know the
answers to those questions -- certainly any adequate generic document
type would have to successfully encode all aspects of the information
at hand.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team