   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services and Quality

<Quote>
Determining whose feedback to listen to, while still keeping consumers
free of legal or other retailiation from vendors seems like a bigger
problem than the technical issues.
</Quote>

Yes - it seems like there would need to be some sort of established and
respected ratings service (much like Arbitron rates TV stations here in
the US(?)). Another possibility is for an open standards consortium
(such as OASIS) to, through a TC, establish a framework for Web Services
rating with wide vendor participation. A large vendor backing would add
further legitimacy to such a framework. Then, the framework could be
adopted by a Web service and the various values provided by that Web
service.

Of course, that leads to the question of how to get Web service
providers to honestly provide values for their services...

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> chiusano_joseph@bah.com (Chiusano Joseph) writes:
> >Lately I've been thinking about what's around the corner for Web
> >services (whether we're close to that corner yet or not is a separate
> >issue). The notion of dynamic discovery and collaboration of Web
> >services comes to mind (choreography, business processes, etc.) - but
> >I'm also thinking in terms of how a Web service can judge the "quality"
> >of another Web service. My question is: is anyone aware of any current
> >efforts on rating Web services?
>
> I don't have a good answer for this, but have heard several suggestions
> for providing EBay-like feedback on services using UDDI-like approaches.
>
> Determining whose feedback to listen to, while still keeping consumers
> free of legal or other retailiation from vendors seems like a bigger
> problem than the technical issues.

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano