   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:

 > The problem with this approach is that it's very platform specific,
 > as binary approaches have always been. I suspect Sun's approach will
 > work well for Java. But will it work well for C? What's the
 > performance impact when byte orders need to be flipped when
 > deserializing?

I think that James was talking about going from bytes representing a
Unicode character encoding, not a binary encoding.  There should be no
platform dependencies in that case.

 > I doubt very much Sun can get an order of magnitude improvement on
 > all platforms of interest, much less with all documents of
 > interest.

In my experience, actual XML parsing generally takes so little time in
a real-world project that optimizing it to zero would still bring no
noticeable gain.  The only exception would be something dealing with a
constant, fat stream of XML data in real time (news feeds are too
low-volume to qualify).

All the best,

David