   Adaptive Object models and XML

Hi

Does anyone in this list is developing or developed a system involving XML technologies and Adaptive Object Models (ref: http://www.adaptiveobjectmodel.com ). As I said earlier I am working on an XML based language that can precisely be used to that purpose. It would be useful to share respective experiences and possible synthesize our respective works.

Up to now, I used PDML (the language I designed)

a)       To move a collection of objects (instances) from a server to a client. Hence, I broke the actual convention that a browser is a dummy device which can only “present” information. Instead, I used PDML to serialize, transport and re-construct the instances and their ontology on the client. It works well on IE, I am having a hard time to reach the same results with Mozilla. This is because in IE allows to access three document models at the same time 1) the XML DOM, 2) the HTML DOM, 3) the XSLT DOM. I used only the XML and HTML DOMs. The XML document contains the model, this latter is modified at run time by ECMAScript objects (translated from PDML using XSLT), then if the model is changed it is returned to the server to update the permanent storage (i.e. an object database). I did not stored the objects in Relational DB but I heard that some did. If nayone did that, I would be interested to ear from your experience.

b)       To encode an ontology and create instances from that ontology.

I am having difficulties right now to deal with:

a) When an object is not transported to the client but is still resident on the server. I want them to communicate through a web service defined with a WSDL document. The service may be SOAP or REST based (since WSDL allows both to be defined in WSDL). In that case, no code is generated on the client, just the object’s signatures to call the object stored on the server.

b) When an object is transported to different agents and different code has to be generated.

The difficulty is not to do it but to express it in a notation that can be as much as possible “usable” and “readable” . I do not want to replicate the mess of OWL  Is there any usability study somewhere about XML based languages?

Cheers

Didier PH Martin