   Re: [xml-dev] Alternative "character entity" proposal

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
 > So I think that Richard is sadly correct here: people who want to use
 > named character references and get rid of DTDs must implement their
 > own non-standard systems.  So we should not waste our time with
 > standards conformance, but just go ahead and do it; if enough of
 > us implement the same thing, maybe W3C will add it.   If a
 > standard is an "agreement" that reflects industry practise, I guess
 > that is the way it has to be.  What should XML-DEVers do? Define some
 > SAX property to handle this, then get it implemented in the standard
 > SAX parsers?

I think it would be interesting to explore the solution space that can
be implemented by an XSLT transform, preferably XSLT 1.0. (I don't think
people are married to the &fubar; syntax; it's more like they're stuck
with it.)

At least, this space should be exhausted before changes to XML or
specialized preprocessors are invoked.

Bob Foster