   Re: [xml-dev] Alternative "character entity" proposal

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 11:19, Bob Foster wrote:
> Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>  > So I think that Richard is sadly correct here: people who want to use
>  > named character references and get rid of DTDs must implement their
>  > own non-standard systems.  So we should not waste our time with
>  > standards conformance, but just go ahead and do it; if enough of
>  > us implement the same thing, maybe W3C will add it.   If a
>  > standard is an "agreement" that reflects industry practise, I guess
>  > that is the way it has to be.  What should XML-DEVers do? Define some
>  > SAX property to handle this, then get it implemented in the standard
>  > SAX parsers?
>
> I think it would be interesting to explore the solution space that can
> be implemented by an XSLT transform, preferably XSLT 1.0.

Yes, that was the purpose of my latest proposal
http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200310/msg00580.html.

Now, if we were using XSLT 2.0, we could use regular expressions more
easily and define the scope (both for elements and attributes) where
another syntax -$(fubar) or anything else- could be used as entity