   RE: [xml-dev] layer interactions (was UTF-8+names)

michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com (Michael Kay) writes:
>> I've done some experiments with this in Ripper, and it's
>> about ten lines of code to make the change.
>
>Presumably you create a dependency on attribute order by requiring a
>namespace to be declared before it is used in an entity reference?
>Otherwise you open the door to all sorts of circularities.

I process start tags for namespace declarations before reporting their
contents, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Well, except for one perverse case: a namespace declaration which uses
an entity in its value, an entity which uses the namespace that
declaration is declaring.  That would look like:

xmlns:e="http://simonstl.com/ns/&e:hahaha;";

Short of that - which I think is easily banned - no, it's not a problem.
Attribute order doesn't raise an issue any more than the use of
namespaces on attributes raises a problem when the namespace declaration
appears after the attribute.

Namespaces have plenty of perversity, but once you've been through a
round of dealing with that perversity, it's not hard to proceed from
there.