   RE: [xml-dev] syntax, model

Not much. However in the XML world people have come to make the
distinction between describing the structure of a document (location of
elements and attributes) and specifying the actual values in the
document (textual content of elements and attributes).

> > When you see "xs:any" at the end of an "xs:complexType"
> declaration,
> > do you think "base class" or do you think ".*" (the regexp
> pattern).
> > It took me some time to get away from the first notion, and
> it's still
> > hard to come up with good words to explain it.
> >
> > What is the data model of this?
> >
> >     <xs:element name="Address">
> >        <xs:complexType>
> >            <xs:element name="Street"/>
> >            <xs:element name="Country"/>
> >            <xs:element name="PostalCode"/>
> >        </xs:complexType>
> >     </xs:element>
>
> We're not connecting on something here, because for me, that
> XML snippet does describe a data model. It says an Address is
> composed of a Street, Country and Postal Code. What else is
> there for a data model to say about an Address?

Since the types of the Street, Country and PostalCode elements is
xs:anyType meaning they can have any content I'm assuming Rich means
that
there isn't enough information there to do much processing with.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
To err is human, to forgive is against department policy.

rights.